Professor Reza Razavi is the Director of the Centre for Medical Engineering. He also has a wider research strategy role as Vice-President & Vice-Principal (Research) at King’s College London, and as Director of Research at King’s Health Partners. Until recently he was also head of the School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences, leading the transformation from 20 to over 400 active researchers in this now world class centre for medical imaging research.
The main focus of Professor Razavi’s research is imaging and biomedical engineering related to cardiovascular disease. This includes cardiac MRI, particularly in relation to congenital heart disease, electrophysiology, heart failure and image guided intervention. His group was the first to perform MRI guided cardiac catheterisation in patients and more recently the first to carry out entirely MR guided cardiovascular interventions. In congenital heart disease, he has developed techniques for 3D imaging and physiological assessment using flow measurements. Using MR guided cardiac catheterisation he has developed new techniques of measuring pulmonary vascular resistance and compliance. He is also working with computational imaging and modelling colleagues to build in-silico models for better understanding of pathophysiology of disease and personalisation of therapy.
There are 21 Principal Investigators who lead their own research groups. We also have support staff in administration, data management and public engagement.
- Gareth Barker — Professor of Magnetic Resonance Physics
- Phil Blower — Professor of Imaging Chemistry
- Rene Botnar — Professor of Cardiovascular Imaging
- Gary Cook — Professor of PET Imaging
- Serena Counsell — Professor of Perinatal Imaging & Health
- David Edwards — Professor of Paediatrics and Neonatal Medicine
- Tony Gee — Professor of PET Chemistry
- Vicky Goh — Professor of Clinical Cancer Imaging
- Jo Hajnal — Professor of Imaging Science
- Alexander Hammers — Professor of Imaging & Neuroscience
- Steve Niederer — Reader in Biomedical Engineering
- Sven Plein — Professor of Cardiology
- Andrew Reader — Professor of Imaging Science
- Kawal Rhode — Professor in Biomedical Engineering
- Mary Rutherford — Professor of Perinatal Imaging
- Julia Schnabel — Professor of Computational Imaging
- Ralph Sinkus — Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Federico Turkheimer — Professor of Neuroimaging Analysis
- Steve Williams — Professor of Neuroimaging